Thursday, August 19, 2010

the major award


Yesterday we had a picnic in the backyard.  I lovingly made happy little meals for my children. I even whipped up a fruit smoothy.  I laid out a blanket and placed the plate in front of the Bird.

This is what I got in return.


I have a friend named Gladys. Well that's not her real name, but it's what I call her and sometimes I don't even recognize her on my caller ID because to me, she is Gladys, nothing else. I call her Gladys because she's the neighbor. Not my neighbor. Someone else's neighbor. They call her Gladys too.

Where was I going with this? Oh yes. Gladys likes to say that having a spunky girl is the very best thing. Sassy girls are less likely to get pushed around and manipulated by a man. I'm banking on that theory. Really I am, because what I have on my hands is one punkified sassafrass.

No bones about it my friends.

And then there's this one here.


He tries so hard to be kind to his little sister, but man can she push his buttons. This is what it sounds like from the other room:

"Stop it Amelie. Stop it. Stop!  Oh, are you kiddin' me?  That was naughty! Ahhhhhh! Moooooooommm! Amelie wrecked my Legos again."

And I yell back, "Just be patient." which startles the Little Mister whiles he's trying to quiet down and have a bottle. So he starts kicking his legs and finally works himself up into a fuss just in time for Thom to come down the hall, carrying the Bird like a limp cat. She's crying and Thom's huffing and mayhem ensues.

But yesterday, just as this scene was being played out for the billionth time, the doorbell rang.  Everyone fell silent, and I looked at my wretched children and exclaimed, "It's my major award!" And we all dashed for the door.



Indeed my major award arrived, and it's not a leg lamp.



The press is finally here! Oh happy day!

Stay tuned. I'll be posting pics and they won't be of grumpy little girls.


I have since heard of people under extreme duress speaking in strange tongues. I became conscious that a steady torrent of obscenities and swearing of all kinds was pouring out of me as I screamed. 
-Ralphie (The Christmas Story)

Let's just say duress has become my norm. 

9 comments:

Rachel said...

your children are so sooooo beautiful! I have 3 sassy lasses and have to remind myself daily that yes, I do want them to be strong women! :) then they have one big (teenage) brother who makes weak attempts at patience. Congrats on the big delivery! Can't wait to see what AMAZING things you start creating!

Emily said...

I have that same shirt for my baby girl, only it has sleeves, and it was a hand-me-down from a sister. Weird. And CUTE. And I can't wait for the letterpress goodness coming our way.

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

All I can say is, I NEVER thought I would live through my lil girl's sassafrass YEARS...and now she is grown, on her own, happy, not pushed around by ANY man, strong, and engaged to someone wonderful. And I'm still alive to talk about it. Years later. Years. LONG years. Literally. It wasn't pretty. Your Bird is gorgeous, and she will be someone who makes you more proud as time goes on...and on...and on...now. Letterpress joy!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

PS. When my sassafrass lass was 3 years old, and had to put on a white frilly dancing dress that she absolutely loved, to get her picture taken, she threw the most gi-normous tantrum and embarrassed the you-know-what out of me in public. Several years later, she brought it up because she remembered it vividly. I asked why she threw such a terrible, 1 1/2-hour long fit. She said, matter-of-factly, "I remember that there was no reason; I just wanted to. Sorry." Yeah, it'll all be funny later, Sister. hahahahahaha!!

Elizabeth said...

Fantastic post -- and I can't wait to see that printing press. It's so cool that you've won that much-deserved award!

I have to say that your Amelie (and Thom and the Baby) is the most beautiful little baby girl I've ever seen. Besides for mine, that is.

From the Kitchen said...

Good heavens! Are you having to add a room?

And little Princess Grumpalot is quite adorable as is the eldest boy!!

Best,
Bonnie

Lesley said...

thank you for your wonderful stories. you make me smile. sometimes you make me teary eyed. i also laugh too loudly sometimes...then i get funny looks from my co-workers. have a beautiful day!

Abbeysmum said...

hope you have the time to have heaps of fun with the new Press.
I put a cheap wooden baby barrier gate on my boys room to keep the little girl from doing the same thing,Lego building takes time, effort and creativity, things worth fostering.

Jessica Munk said...

Love this post! Congrats on the press! And I love the thought that sassy girls don't get pushed around...even if it means they don't do what mom says!:)