Monday, October 19, 2009

kryptonite

Moments after Birdie made her big entrance into the world.

I can't quite seem to remember a time when she wasn't with us.

Who is this little bird that has come to teach our family how to fly?


Who is this child that can melt me with a glance of her bright almond eyes?

Do all mother's love their children so much they could lick them like a cat?

In the moments before Thomas was born, he reached his chubby little hand up and took a chunk of my heart with him, claiming it as his own. He's had it ever since.

When did Birdie get her chunk?

She sucked it out of me the moment she was born and we locked eyes. The moment we recognized each other. She let me know she'd be needing her share too.

I'm the mom. I'm supposed to be in charge. But I'm powerless against these little people. They have me just where they need me.

Their smiles are my kryptonite.

Heaven help me.

And them.

3 comments:

tollestrupfamily said...

You know one of the craziest things about me is that I LOVE newborns. Part of the reason are those moments when you are holding your baby and your heart feels like it will burst with all the love you have and it is so beautiful it makes you weep. THAT is why I love babies. Those fleeting moments make everything else worthwhile.

margie said...

love...
kiss kiss
m

truly blessed said...

Girl, you have such a way with words. It's like they just flow straight from your heart. I have 5 girls and its' like that with every one of them. It's a mother-love kinda thing. I just watched your vimeo and loved it. The family, the colors, the affection, the sunshine, the music, i could go on and on. Such a beautiful family. Ooh, and i happen to be drooling over the jewelry you were wearing as well. I think that about covers it. :)