Thursday, November 20, 2008

hello finland?

Photo of Helsinki

I often wonder about you. My readers. I wonder who you are and how you live. Are you happy and loved? Are you lonely? Do you like to watch people the way I like to watch them? Do you eat eggs in the morning and tacos for dinner? Do you have a drivers license? Who are you?


Everyday I like to look at a world map of my readership. Everyday I have a little dot on Finland. Who are you Miss Finland? Are you a Miss or a Mrs.? Maybe even a Mr.? Do you own a lot of really great sweaters? Do you like to sit in a sauna? I heard Finnish people love saunas.


As a young man my father lived in Helsinki for a few years. He told me many stories about the cold weather and the warm Finnish people. I would love to go to Helsinki someday, but until then, I just want to meet and know the girl from across the world who clicks into my life daily.



Old Finnish Photo

Did you see the movie The Holiday? It was a totally marginal movie but the premise is that two girls from two different countries swap houses for the holidays. I love the idea of not just swapping but hosting or staying with one of my international blogosphere friends. Wouldn't it be something to be able to say that you have friends on every continent?

Whether you are from Helsinki, Brisbane or Miami, I'd like to get to know you. I'm sure we'd be good friends.

You still have today to enter to win the Dragonflies magnets, and until Friday to enter to win the jewelry. Scroll down to previous posts to enter.

13 comments:

Contrariwise said...

I always like checking where my readers come from and am excited when I get new countries.

Very nice post.

Kimberly said...

well i'm not miss finland but i can tell you all about my boring life in nevada. *barf*

haven't been here for a while. life got away from me.

i'm glad you had a great girls' weekend. so awesome.

Kathy said...

Love the photos--it's so much fun to dream about distant places.

I have a driver's license--barely!

OurWanderingAdventures said...

WOW! I love that! Sadly, i'm not Mrs. Finland, i'm boring old Mrs. Rockford, IL.

And I know you didn't ask me in particular, but here you go:

I wonder who you are and how you live:
Michelles of MichellesCharmWorld, 28 and stay at home mother to 3 (ages 3,2 and 1). I love to read and craft, and peek in on the lives of others through the blogging world. I'm married to the love of my life and we love Disney World.

Are you happy and loved?
I am happy and feel very loved.

Are you lonely?
Yes, somtimes I think that's why I do things like this! In hopes of finding that one great friend we all are supposed to have.

Do you like to watch people the way I like to watch them? yes, people make me very curious with their ways.

Do you eat eggs in the morning and tacos for dinner? Once a week on both of those :)

Do you have a drivers license?
Yes, and I hate driving. I live in IL and the winter snows keep me inside more than I admit! I bought a home close to the school where the kids will go, so we can walk even in the winter!

Unknown said...

Thanks Michelle. You feel a little closer now.

Amyesq said...

My name is Amy and you are welcome to come to my house and stay in the exotic city of.. four miles from where you live now. But if I were you I would stay put, because your house and garden are much cuter than mine. :)

Now I totally want Finland to check in.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am not Ms. Finland but kind of a relative of her. I am clicking from Budapest, Hungary!! Wohoooo! We are relatives with Finnish people since we came to Europe from the Ural mountains lot of years ago and the language system is very close to each other (at least scientist say that). So you might come to Hungary it is a really nice place too and not soo cold! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Julie from Hungary! What is your favorite traditional recipe?

Unknown said...

Cute post! I often wonder about some readers like that - always coming back, never leaving a comment. I may have to borrow some of your ideas :)

Anonymous said...

Hi April!
Huh, my favorite recipe?? People usually do Goulash soup (in Hungarian it is gulyás leves) for people who come to visit from an other country (I like it too and it is sometimes done outside) it is delicious and so rich, that there is no second dish if we eat this. Only some dessert. And we love paprika and put in many dishes. To this soup also. Tell me if you want to make and maybe I can send you paprika powder (for sure!!) I don't think you can buy a quality one over in California. Here also we have to look which one to buy. Not a very fifficult thing to do! :P

Anonymous said...

I mean difficult... :)
It is getting late here.
Goodnight!

Unknown said...

Julie-
If you can send me some paprika and a recipe, I'll send you a little somethin' somethin' as well! Please email me!

Erica said...

Not the person from Helsinki, but I've been there and I LOVED it!
But then again, I love all of Europe. :)
You need to see the Baltic region - its gorgeous!