Wednesday, August 13, 2008

the blinding high gloss of an organized life

As odd as it sounds, organized closets make me feel like a better person. Somewhere along the way I picked up the notion that being organized and tidy, is akin to being responsible. Maybe I heard "cleanliness is next to Godliness" too many times. Who knows.

The curious thing for me is that I am most creative in chaos. I try to keep my work bench organized. I really do. Every month or so I do a major clean up and put every thing in its place, but as soon as I sit down to work, things entropically end up strewn everywhere. I cook this way too, in a muddle of flour, butter, pots and pans.



I have realized lately that for me pandemonium spawns creativity. And yet, I continue to strive to keep things shipshape and June Cleaver clean. It is, quite frankly, an unrealistic ideal. I mean, seriously, who lives like this?


Someone with OCD no doubt.

The other funny thing is artificial nails. I have no desire whatsoever to have fake nails. Indeed, they would pop off the moment I hit the work bench, and yet, I see women with their nails all shiny and manicured and I think- man, that chick really has her shit in a pile (to use one of my little brother's phrases). The high gloss lacquer mesmerizes me. The fact of the matter is that they recently came out with a study that proved that artificial nails harbor all kinds of bacteria and disgusting stuff. And yet, if you are sporting fakies, and I see you around, I'm gonna think you really have it all together. That's just how weird I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if nails are a reflection of your life, then mine must be cracked, peeling and dull. Oh well life's too short to keep your hands clean.